Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mystery of the Gerber Baby

Throughout my life I have always wondered who that sweet cherub was on all the Gerber baby products.   I have been given tons of answers by people who swear they are right.  Still I think there is more to the story than a sweet face. 
Humphrey Bogart, Elizabeth Taylor, and even Leif Garrett are among some of the rumored celebs to be the Gerber baby model. 
I have decided to do some research on the matter and this is what I have found. 
In the late 1920's Gerber held a competition to find out who would be the next Gerber baby.  Pictures were mailed in left and right.  Gerber received a sketch from a woman named Dorothy Hope Smith.  She entered the sketch a beautiful child that everyone now knows as the Gerber baby.
Who is the child in question?  The answer is Ann Turner Cook.  She was the artist's neighbor.  Ann Turner Cook is a mystery novelist and retired English teacher.
So there you have it America the truth about the real Gerber baby.  Not quite what I was expecting, but now glad to know the real truth.

Via Gerber